Air fryer hard boiled eggs are the very first thing I tried in my air fryer. Seems kind of silly because I honestly don’t eat hard boiled eggs that often, but I really wanted to get rid of my Instant Pot and the one thing I always pulled it out for was hard boiled eggs. They were really easy to make in the Instant Pot and really easy to peel. So I immediately thought — can you hard boil eggs in an air fryer? Yes! So the “can I donate the Instant Pot” test was proving that I could make hard boiled eggs in the air fryer that were easy to make and easy to peel.
Testing how to make hard boiled eggs in air fryer gave me a bit of trouble
Once you know the right temperature and time cooking air fryer hard boiled eggs are incredibly easy. But I’ll be honest I spend way too much time and way too many eggs figuring out the right combination. So if you’re thinking of winging it, don’t! Let me save you the trouble. I undercooked, overcooked, and had the hardest time peeling these suckers. I tried different temperatures, modes, and cook times until I finally made air fryer hard boiled eggs that rival my Instant Pot version.
How to air fry hard boiled eggs
What you need
- Air Fryer. We have a Ninja Foodi 10 quart air fryer and love it!
- Medium bowl
- Cold water
How long to cook hard boiled eggs in air fryer
- Put eggs in air fryer basket for 18-19 minutes at 250 degrees.
- While the eggs are cooking grab your medium bowl, add ice cubes about halfway, and add enough cold water that your eggs can fully submerge at the same time.
- Once cooking is complete, immediately remove eggs from basket and place into ice bath.
- After 10 minutes remove eggs and peel immediately or put in fridge and peel later.
Some tips and things to note
- I’ve cooked 4-12 eggs in one basket at a time with this method and they turn out great (lean towards 19 minutes if you’re doing 12 eggs).
- I have noticed that there are often brown spots on my eggs after air frying them. Not going to lie, I thought it was bits of chicken nugget breading, mom life, but it turns out that those brown spots are totally normal. They are just from the circulating air in the air fryer and typically wipe right off.
What to cook with hard boiled eggs
- Hard boiled eggs are great all on their own, just top with some salt and pepper and enjoy!
- Great chopped up and on top of salads
- Add hard boiled egg to your wrap for extra protein
- Make a traditional egg salad, Bitchin’ Sauce egg salad, or avocado egg salad
- Top your greens with our egg salad
- Add a hard boiled egg to your mini charcuterie board
- Hard boiled eggs are a good option for a quick protein for your kid’s breakfast, lunch, or dinner — I just cut it in half and let my girl eat it with their hands.
It’s easy to make hard boiled eggs in an air fryer
To my surprise air fryer hard boiled eggs are turning out to be even easier than my previous Instant Pot method. We kept our Instant pot in the pantry and had to haul it out when we wanted to use it, but I just didn’t end up getting the hang of it. So when we decided to get an air fryer, I wanted to leave it on the counter so that we saw it often and used it as much as possible. Air fryer hard boiled eggs can get started in 15 seconds if I want to. So easy!