Before you run away, just know that I was skeptical at first as well.
But for the last 8 months, I put butter, oil and collagen in my coffee every morning. If you’re at all into health and wellness this probably sounds at least vaguely familiar to you. But if you’re scratching your head and thinking, “butter in your coffee? What the?” I get it. But here I am. I did it. I jumped on the bulletproof coffee train. Here’s the real deal on why I did it, what Bulletproof coffee is, and how I make it every morning.
So we’re all clear, I’m not a healthcare professional. This is what I understand about Bulletproof Coffee from the research I have done.
What is Bulletproof coffee?
Traditionally, bulletproof coffee is a “high-calorie coffee drink intended to replace breakfast” that consists of three main ingredients:
- MCT (medium chain triglycerides oil)
Why I am drinking Bulletproof coffee
There are several reasons that I drink bullet proof coffee:
- It’s said to fend off Alzheimers. I have a very strong history of Alzheimers in my family. Bulletproof coffee (because of it’s nutritious make up) is said to help fend off Alzheimer’s (in combination with the right diet)—why not?!
- It’s an easy way to start my day. I set my coffee on a timer the night before, throw all four ingredients in a blender and enjoy. No fussing with cooking eggs or washing dishes in the morning. (and you know I’m all about efficiency)
- It doesn’t cause me shaky caffeine side-effects. I have become more sensitive to caffeine since having my daughter and with Bulletproof coffee, I don’t get the caffeine shakes because the fat from the mct oil and butter slow the absorption of caffeine and extend it for a longer period of time.
- I go to the bathroom every day (definitely TMI). Now this might not be a problem for some people, but I have never been a good pooper. In college I would sometimes go a couple of weeks without a bowel movement. Once I started to drink Bulletproof coffee, I’ve never had an issue.
- I feel good. Most importantly, I love the way I feel when I drink bulletproof coffee. I think listening to your body is so important. For example, I’ve noticed that my body doesn’t love when I drink IPA beers since having my daughter, which by the way is (was?) my absolute favorite drink. I still have it from time to time, but it seems like I am not even done with the beer and I already have a headache. That kind of thing isn’t worth it to me. Now that I have the awareness of how certain foods and drinks make me feel and I’m making decisions on those feelings, I’m finding the diet that works for me and my body. When I drink this coffee I feel fantastic. It’s such a simple feel-good way to start my day and it sends me off to work with energy and focus ( = productivity, yes, please).
Bulletproof coffee recipe for home and on-the-road
I’m a sucker for routine (have you noticed?) So I make this every morning. And because I make it every morning I want to be prepared whether I’m home or traveling.
2 Tablespoons grass-fed, unsalted butter (I buy mine at Aldi! #aldifinds)
1 Tablespoon Bulletproof Coffee Brain Octane Oil (MCT oil)
Put it all in a blender, blend and enjoy!
Pro-tip: unlike black coffee, I don’t love the taste of bulletproof coffee when it gets a cooler. So I put hot water into my travel mug while I’m blending to get it warmed up and put the the finished coffee immediately into the mug for safe delicious keeping.
Tell me how it goes!
If you’ve never tried bulletproof coffee and you’re at all intrigued, give it a chance—and let me know how your energy is after you do!